Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Florence "Hummingbird" Nightingale



Since I was a little tyke, I have always had a fascination for nature and animals..... critters n stuff ya know. One of my favorite critters to see are hummingbirds. I think they are absolutely fascinating. Needles to say I usually hang a hummingbird feeder outside to attract them to my yard.

Yesterday as I was doing a little work in my yard....I walked around on the patio and there laying on the ground was an injured hummingbird! I picked up and tried to revive it but it just layed there shivering. I walked over and inserted its bill into the feeder to try to feed it, but it didnt work. SO i googled "Injured Hummingbird" and found this website http://www.rubythroat.org/questionsinjured01.html
The website say to try to feed the bird....well i had tried that...so I tried it again...and no luck
,...but here is a picture of me trying to feed it . You can see it really was not into eating....In fact I probably should have just put it out of its misery, but ......being somewhat of a tree-hugger, I still had to try to nurse it back to health.
Upon further reading on that website...it says to wrap the bird in a towel and put it on a shoe-box
at night. I carefully wrapped it in paper towels and placed it in a box and left it in the garage.
I wish this story had a happy ending, but this morning there was a hummingbird corpse wrapped in a paper towel in a box in my garage,...but hey I tried to save it.



1 comment:

  1. Oh My Goodness. Are you and the boys going to have a funeral for it tonight.

    And that dumb website, probably told you to wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a box knowing that it would save you from having to do it upon finding the hummingbird passed on to the great beyond and so it was it's pre-viewing.

    So cool of you to try and save it tho. :)

    ReplyDelete